The Edmond Sun

March 4, 2013

Police detain suspect who allegedly threatened church staff

Mark Schlachtenhaufen
The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — A teenager who allegedly made threats at an Edmond church prompting a school lockdown has been detained, a school spokeswoman said.

Edmond Public Schools’ spokeswoman Susan Parks-Schlepp said at about 10 a.m. the Edmond Police Department told the district a teenage male who allegedly threatened staff at the First Presbyterian Church of Edmond, located six block south of UCO at 1001 S. Rankin St., had been detained.

EPD spokeswoman Jenny Monroe said the incident occurred a few minutes after 8 a.m. Monday.

At the time, Edmond Police officers began aggressively searching for a teenage Asian or Hispanic male who walked into the church and allegedly began making threats to employees of the church, Monroe said.

“This subject did not make threats toward students or any school in Edmond, but the police department and school district are working together in this incident,” Monroe said as the situation unfolded.

Monroe said the suspect was driving a white Crown Victoria with a spotlight, push bar and small antenna in the center of roof. He was wearing white shoes, blue jeans, a maroon shirt with large white print on front, blue horizontally striped jacket and wearing headphones, Monroe said. In addition to the search in the city, the Police Department processed video surveillance from the church.

Parks-Schlepp said at 8:15 a.m., Central Middle School, which is across the street from the church, was placed on full lockdown.

Principals at Memorial High School, Will Rogers Elementary and Clegern Elementary, schools located in the area, were notified about the incident, Parks-Schlepp said. The schools were placed on a heightened state of security, she said.

At about 9:30 a.m., the lockdown at Central Middle School was modified, meaning the entry doors were locked and students could move freely about the inside of the building, Parks-Schlepp said.

After the district was notified about the suspect being detained the security measures were relaxed, Parks-Schlepp said.

Further details surrounding the identification of the suspect and manner of the threats were not immediately available. The Edmond Sun will report any further developments during the day. | 341-2121, ext. 108