The Edmond Sun

January 23, 2014

Area fire victim loses livelihood in structure fire

Mark Schlachtenhaufen
The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — Due to the recent cold stretch of weather, Santiago Rojas said he had moved his lawn equipment into his backyard shop.

Thursday afternoon, temperatures were in the low 20s. Rojas, who lives in rural southeast Logan County east of Interstate 35, was inside when a space heater warming pipes in the 30-foot by 30-foot structure sparked a fire. When he went outside, the fire was already going.

Rojas said the shop, which also contained other items, is a total loss. Fortunately, it is all insured.

Chris Wilder, assistant fire chief with the Woodcrest Fire Department, confirmed the suspected cause of the fire, which was intense enough to soften steel beams. Several area departments assisted and no firefighters were injured, Wilder said.

No other structures were damaged.

Wilder said firefighters responded to the call at about 2:50 p.m.



marks@edmondsun.com | 341-2121, ext. 108