The Edmond Sun

January 2, 2013

Official: Apartment fire causes $16,000 loss


The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — A faulty floor lamp may have sparked a fire that ignited a mattress in an Edmond apartment, a fire official said.

At 12:05 p.m. Monday, Edmond Fire Department personnel responded to a structure fire call regarding an apartment at the Timbers Apartments, 1200 E. Ayers St., according to an incident report.

When fire personnel arrived, heavy smoke was present throughout the unit and a flame was blowing out the northeast window, the report stated. Ceiling and walls were breached to check for extension, and the fire did not extend beyond the sheetrock into the structure, the report stated.

Fire Maj. Bill Brown and Maj. Mitch Rainwater spoke to the resident and investigated the fire. The resident said the fire started when she changed a light bulb in a floor lamp, the report stated. When she turned on the lamp a spark from the bulb started her mattress on fire, the report stated.

No other apartment units sustained damage, although smoke was cleared out of several units, the report stated. No injuries were reported.

The origin of the fire was determined to be near the corner of the bed and an electrical outlet, Fire Maj. Kelly Lewis said. The cause of the fire appears to be accidental due to failure of equipment or heat source, Lewis said.

Damage estimates were $15,000 to the structure and $800 in property loss, Lewis said.

Response time for the first unit to arrive was just over two minutes, according to the report.