Unknown suspects broke into the burned-out shell of an Edmond hotel and stole $100,000 worth of copper wire, a 50-inch plasma TV and a pillow case, police said.
In May, a hail stone falling from storms that passed over the city ignited a fire that burned much of Stratford House Inns, 3020 S. Broadway, as previously reported in The Edmond Sun.
At about 11 p.m. on a Tuesday evening, the hail stone struck an electric sign on the front of the structure. The innkeeper put out the fire, believed it was fully extinguished and did not call 911. Hours later, a passer-by spotted flames in the hotel’s roof and called 911. When Edmond fire crews arrived, they found a fully involved fire in the attic.
The hotel and real estate were valued at $1.17 million by the county assessor. The structure, built in 1983, appeared to be a total loss. Since the fire, a chain link fence has enclosed the remnants of the structure.
On Thursday, the Edmond Police Department released report information showing that during a daytime burglary copper was stolen from air conditioning units on the site.
In addition to the $100,000 worth of copper wire items reported missing were a 50-inch plasma TV, a $600 desktop computer and a $5 pillow case, police said.
There was no information on suspects.
firstname.lastname@example.org | 341-2121, ext. 108