The Edmond Sun
This is a list of holiday-related events at local churches. If you want to include your church’s special event or candlelight service, send the information to Mark Schlachtenhaufen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 3-4 p.m. Dec. 2: Holiday Service of Remembrance, Crossings Community Church, 14600 N. Portland Ave., Oklahoma City. This special one-hour Sunday chapel service is designed for families and friends who have experienced the loss of a loved one. The service is an opportunity to reflect through uplifting worship, encouragement from God’s word and meaningful prayer time. For more information, call 755-2227 or visit crossingsokc.org.
• 7 p.m. nightly Dec. 5-7, 5:30 p.m. Dec. 8 “The Plan,” Henderson Hills Baptist Church, 1200 E. I-35 Frontage Road (near I-35 and 15th Street). Every year the church hosts a musical production to celebrate the Christmas season. There is something for all ages. For more information, including how to reserve free tickets, call 341-4639 or visit www.hhbc.com.
• 7:30 p.m. nightly Dec. 13-16 the family friendly musical drama “One Incredible Moment: Celebrating the Majesty of the Manger” will be presented by First Presbyterian Church, 1001 S. Rankin St. Under the direction of Edmond music icon Terry Attebery the production involves a multi-generational cast of about 100 singers and dancers and professional lighting. The story by best-selling author Max Lucado shares the good news for humanity then and now, and tells how one unbelievable moment forever altered the lives of Mary, Joseph, the shepherds and the wise men. The music by Tom Fettke (“The Majesty and Glory of Your Name”) helps illuminate the people and events surrounding Jesus’ life. Free admission and free child care. For more information, call the church office 341-3602 or visit fpcedmond.org.
• 3:30, 5 and 5 p.m. Dec. 23: Christmas Eve Candlelight Services at Acts 2 United Methodist Church, 4848 W. Covell. For more information, call 359-2287 or visit www.acts2umc.org.
• Dec. 23: Blue Christmas Service, First Presbyterian Church, 1001 S. Rankin St. The candlelight service offers a time to remember those now absent from our lives and to release the feelings of stress, despair and depression. For more information, call the church office at 341-3602.
• 11 a.m. Dec. 23 “Tapestry of Light,” a Celtic Christmas celebration with chancel choir and chamber orchestra presented by Santa Fe Presbyterian, 1603 N. Santa Fe Ave. The joy and hope of Christmas are celebrated in this new Celtic-styled cantata filled with carols, thoughtful narration and sparkling orchestrations. Traditional melodies form the foundations of this festival of lights, bringing to your holiday presentation a pleasing mixture of choirs, carols and candlelight. For more information, call 341-3300 or visit santafechurch.org.
• Dec. 23-24: Candlelight services at Crossings Community Church, 14600 N. Portland Ave., Oklahoma City. Dec. 23: 6 p.m. in the Sanctuary (blended music featuring the 200-plus Voices of Crossings choir and Festival Orchestra ); 7 p.m. in the Atrium; 8 p.m. in the Chapel. Dec. 24 — 2:30 p.m. in the Sanctuary; 4 p.m. in the Sanctuary; 6 p.m. in the Sanctuary; 4:45 p.m. in the Atrium (contemporary high-energy); 5:30 p.m. in the Chapel (traditional service of hymns). Each service is filled with music, favorite Christmas carols, a Christmas message by Senior Pastor Marty Grubbs, a message about the true meaning of Christmas — Christ’s birth — and the candlelight conclusion. For more information, call 755-2227 or visit crossingsokc.org.