You’ve probably heard of the 12 days of Christmas and the 12-21-12 Mayan doomsday scenario. Edmond youngster Mark McGinn turned 12 on 12-12-12 and the birthday boy is doing 12 things with his mom, K’Lynn McGinn.
Mark, a sixth-grader at Cimarron Middle School, said he’s been excited about this particular birthday for several years. At 5 a.m., Mark’s big day began. His first stop was at a local television station where he got to do a bit of the weekend weather forecast with a station meteorologist.
“It was really cool, about like I had a backstage pass,” he said during his stop at The Edmond Sun.
Here’s the rest of his special to-do list:
1. Visit KWTV, watch morning news and see his Skype interview from the previous day;
2. Human 12 photograph;
3. Build cherry Dr. Pepper (his favorite soda) tower with 12 cans;
4. Gets first cell phone;
5. Interview with The Edmond Sun;
6. Photo with 12th St. sign;
7. Twelve samples at Baskin-Robbins;
8. Photo with Memorial Road Church of Christ billboard when it flashes 12:12 p.m.;
9. Sundial photo by Roman numeral 12;
10. Release 12 balloons with mom-approved messages and contact information;
11. Roll dice until Mark gets a double six; and
12. Watch an appropriate movie.
At school, Mark enjoys playing the violin in the orchestra and is becoming interested in drama. He has a very giving heart and enjoys all children both his friends his age and taking care of younger ones, K’Lynn said.
“He currently has a weekly baby-sitting job once a week after school and does a great job,” she said.
Mark’s mom said she got the idea from Jeff Bigelow, an engineering professor at Oklahoma Christian University. Bigelow, who got the honor of driving mother and son during the day, has been doing this with his children on each of the corresponding days this decade — nine things 9-9-09, 10 on 10-10-10, etc.
“We got to participate in it last year and my kids enjoyed it a lot,” K’Lynn said.
Since her parenting duties are split between Mark and his three brothers, the day gave mother and son an opportunity for plenty of quality time together, K’Lynn said.
“For him to turn 12 on 12-12-12, that will be something we’ll remember forever,” she said.
email@example.com | 341-2121