The Edmond Sun

April 24, 2013

Indecent exposure charge dropped against Edmond man

Mark Schlachtenhaufen
The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — County prosecutors have dropped charges filed against an Edmond man who had been identified as a suspect in an indecent exposure case.

On Feb. 3, a woman told officers she was running on a jogging trail on the south side of Whispering Heights Park, 3707 Grandview Terrace, when she saw a male exposing himself, according to an affidavit of probable cause filed by Detective Chris Cook.

On March 12, the woman went to the station and reviewed a photo lineup that included the defendant, Cook stated. She picked the defendant out of the lineup and said she was positive he was the male she saw exposing himself.

On March 25, Michael Seockjin Moon was arraigned and entered a plea of not guilty, according to Oklahoma County District Court records. On March 29, the felony indecent exposure charge was dropped at the request of the state, according to online court records.

Phone calls to the District Attorney’s office Wednesday were not returned by press time.

John Moon, Michael’s father, said his son could not have been the suspect since he was playing tennis in Wichita on Feb. 3.

A Feb. 4 news release issued by Cowley College, Arkansas City, Kan., documented the results of a Feb. 3 match against the Wichita State men’s tennis team at the Genesis Health Club tennis courts in Wichita. In the results, Moon is listed as a competitor in doubles and singles matches.

In a letter to Police Chief Bob Ricks and City Attorney Steve Murdock, Moon stated that his son was not armed and was not violent but that he had been receiving care at three mental institutions. He produced medical records from St. Anthony Hospital, the Oklahoma County Crisis Intervention Center and his son’s pyschiatrist. In the letter, he asked the officials to reconsider the charges against his son and he apologized to the people negatively affected by him.

Moon also produced his son’s bank account records, which show several transactions occurring in Arkansas City in January, February and March.

Michael’s father said his son was beaten up in jail by an inmate who found out about the indecent exposure charge, which has now been dropped. His son received stitches to his head, he said, as a result of the incident.

Moon said he does not normally pursue publicity but wanted Edmond residents to know what type of person Michael really is.

After graduating from Edmond Memorial High School, where he was captain of the varsity tennis team, Moon attended the University of Central Oklahoma and Cowley College, his father said. His son was an excellent student who would have been able to attend excellent universities.

“When three teenagers in Edmond committed suicide in early 2012, that’s when Michael was shocked and had mental breakdowns, and that is when all of his troubles started,” his father told The Sun.

Moon remains incarcerated in the Oklahoma County jail on a misdemeanor threatening to perform an act of violence charge related to an incident at an Edmond church filed on March 13. He was arraigned and entered a plea of not guilty on March 14. He’s scheduled to appear in court for a disposition hearing today. In that matter, Moon is being held without bond. | 341-2121, ext. 108