The Edmond Sun

April 6, 2013

Chance for large hail, tornadoes in Edmond forecast

Mark Schlachtenhaufen
The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — Large damaging hail, damaging winds and tornadoes are possible in the Edmond area next week, according to the National Weather Service.

A series of storm systems will approach the southern plains during the next few days. The first will provide a chance for thunderstorms, some with small hail, as early as Saturday night across portions of Oklahoma.

Increasing chances for severe thunderstorms will occur from Sunday through Wednesday as a large upper level storm system moves across the region, according to the National Weather Service forecast for Edmond.

Isolated severe storms look possible Sunday and Monday with more widespread activity likely Tuesday into Wednesday.

All facets of severe weather will be possible including large damaging hail, damaging winds and a few tornadoes, according to the National Weather Service.

Tornado potential appears to be greatest Monday and Tuesday as a dryline forms over western Oklahoma. A cold front is expected to sweep across Oklahoma and north Texas by Wednesday afternoon bringing an end to showers and storms by Wednesday night.

Edmond’s forecast includes a 20 percent chance for showers and thunderstorms after 1 a.m. Saturday night through Sunday night followed by a 30 percent chance Monday with a high near 77.

Tuesday will bring a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms with a high near 74 and 60 percent chance Tuesday night.

Wednesday will bring a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before the front lowers temperatures to around 39 Wednesday night.

Thursday will be mostly sunny with a high near 63.



marks@edmondsun.com | 341-2121, ext. 108