The Edmond Sun

December 3, 2013

2 Edmond detectives help deliver baby boy

Mark Schlachtenhaufen
The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — It was a big day for Colin and Dalisha Johnson and two burly Edmond cops. It was an even bigger day for Kingsly Johnson — his birthday.

The Johnson’s baby was due to come into the world Dec. 18, and plans were for labor to be induced Dec. 13, said Colin, sounding like a proud papa as he talked about the day in a room at OU Medical Center-Edmond. Kingsly had other plans.

At about 8:25 a.m. Tuesday, Colin said, Dalisha’s water broke. You can almost picture the scene, with the dad-to-be frantically gathering the baby hospital bag and other items, gently helping the mother to their SUV and heading down the street.

At about 9:30 a.m., Edmond Police Department Detectives Mike Chesley and Jimmy Gwartney were coming back from working a case when they spotted an SUV with its emergency lights blinking driving through an intersection.

Colin pulled over near 15th Street and Kelly.

“My wife is in extreme labor,” he told the officers.

This was not an everyday experience for the detectives. Police spokeswoman Jenny Monroe said it is believed the last time something like this happened in town was during the 1980s. Colin was a veteran new dad, the father of four daughters. But this was new to him too.

Gwartney said he wanted to know if the baby was coming at that moment. Should they call EMSA? Call the hospital?

The detectives got authorization from a supervisor to escort the couple to OU Medical Center-Edmond. When Dalisha started feeling the urge to push, Colin stopped again near the Rankin-15th Street intersection. The baby’s head was already beginning to show.

Chesley saw the SUV stop and pulled over. Gwartney got out of their unmarked car. He rushed over to the SUV in time to see the baby’s head emerging and the father catch his new son. The cops helped the father take off his coat. They wrapped the baby, which came out crying, a good sign, in the coat and a couple of blankets.

Monroe said the baby was born at 9:35 a.m. The cops stayed with the family until other first responders arrived. Gwartney said he helped clear the baby’s nose and Edmond Fire Department personnel cut the baby’s umbilical cord.

“It’s a great blessing to have a child come into this world,” Colin said.

He said mother and child are doing fine. They named the 5-pound, 18-inch boy Kingsly. When asked if any of the other deliveries with his daughters were close to this experience, he said they all happened fast, but not this fast.

Gwartney, himself the father of two children, said it was a pretty incredible experience.

“I’m just thankful the mom and baby came out OK,” he said.

Colin said he’s been calling and texting relatives about the blessed event. He said his family should be leaving the hospital in a day or two. | 341-2121, ext. 108