The Edmond Sun

February 1, 2013

Documents identify suspect in Enid murder

Cass Rains
CNHI News Service

Enid — Court documents charging an Enid man as an accessory after the

fact in an Oklahoma City murder, identify another man believed to be

responsible for the last murder in Enid.

In addition, documents show the man claiming credit for the Enid killing

said he “shot the wrong person.”

Ivan Alexander Williamson, 21, was charged last week in Garfield County

District Court with accessory after the fact, which is punishable by five to

45 years in prison, in connection with an October murder in Oklahoma City,

documents show.

On Dec. 22, Enid Police Department received a 911 call at about 2:18 a.m. of

an unresponsive man in a house in the 300 block of East Columbia.

Twenty-four-year-old Heath Crites was found shot multiple times and lying in

the living room of the residence, located east of Enid Cemetery and south of

the Garfield County Fairgrounds.

EPD Capt. Jack Morris said the murder remains under investigation. No

arrests have been made in connection to the Enid murder.

“At this point, we are looking at a person of interest,” he said. “The

investigation is ongoing, and we are waiting on search warrants to be

executed and other information to be obtained.”

According to an affidavit filed in the case against Williamson, Oklahoma

City Police Department detectives were investigating an Oct. 20, 2012,

murder in which someone was shot with a Taurus .45-caliber handgun. During

their investigation, they learned Ronnie Fuston was their suspect. A warrant

was issued and he was arrested Jan. 9 in Oklahoma City.

In Oklahoma County, Fuston was charged Jan. 17 with first-degree murder for

the death of Michael Donnell Rhodes, 42.

Fuston was arrested in connection with the Oct. 20, 2012, shooting death of

Rhodes in northwest Oklahoma City, Oklahoma City Police Department Capt.

Dexter Nelson said. Officers found Rhodes’ body at the 9400 block of Eagle

Hill Drive about 11:50 p.m. inside the residence.

Oklahoma City media outlets reported a 3-year-old boy was found with his

body when police arrived.

Court records in the Oklahoma County case list an Oklahoma City address for

Fuston. According to the Garfield County affidavit, however, Enid police

know Fuston previously lived with his mother on East Wabash from past


Oklahoma City detectives learned the gun used in the homicide might be

hidden in a vehicle in Enid, according to the affidavit. Detectives came to

Enid searching for the gun and contacted EPD, speaking with Sgt. Randy King.

King told the Oklahoma City detectives the weapon used in the Dec. 22

homicide in Enid also was a Taurus .45-caliber handgun, documents show.

Shell casings from the two crime scenes were compared, and it was determined

they were fired from the same gun, according to the affidavit. The findings

also showed the markings were consistent with a Taurus firearm.

Fuston made a phone call to the 580 area code while in custody in Oklahoma

City. Fuston told the person on the phone to go to his “mama’s” house and

get the “hammers,” which is slang for handguns, according to the affidavit.

On Jan. 11, documents show police spoke with the man Fuston called from

Oklahoma County Jail. He said he spoke with Fuston Jan. 9. After receiving

the call, he contacted another man, who then contacted Williamson about

moving the gun.

Detective Tim Doyle spoke with Williamson Jan. 11 and explained to him he

did not believe he was involved in the Oklahoma City homicide, but believed

he did move the gun after the fact, according to the affidavit.

Doyle told Williamson as long as he was helpful and truthful he would not be

charged. Doyle also explained Enid and Oklahoma City police both needed his


Williamson said he knew where the gun was and took Doyle to 1420 W.

Oklahoma. He said he lives there with his aunt and uncle, and took Doyle to

a vent in the home where he said he had hidden the gun in a shirt, documents


Doyle found a gun wrapped in a navy blue T-shirt. It was a Hi-Point model

JHP .45-caliber black semi-automatic, according to the affidavit. No

ammunition was recovered with the gun.

Doyle spoke with Williamson at the police station, and Williamson said he

received a call Jan. 9 from a man who said Fuston called him and asked him

go to his mother’s house on East Wabash and get “them thangs,” documents


Doyle told Williamson he was under the impression there was more than one

firearm in the house on Wabash. Williamson told Doyle there was only one gun

Jan. 9, and it was the Hi-Point .45. Doyle told Williamson he was certain

Fuston had more than one gun, and Williamson was adamant the only gun he

picked up Jan. 9 was the Hi-Point .45, according to the affidavit.

Williamson told Doyle he used his Facebook account to message the person who

had called him about picking up the gun, and told them he had picked up

“them thangs.” Williamson then gave Doyle access to his Facebook account,

documents show.

According to the affidavit, Doyle took Williamson home, thanked him for his

help and told him if he knew anything else, now was the time to tell him to

avoid charges. Williamson told Doyle he’d already told him everything he


Doyle returned to the police station and accessed Williamson’s Facebook

account. He located a private message between Williamson and another man

concerning the sale of two .45-caliber handguns. The messages mention a

“torus and a high point” being for sale, documents show.

Doyle returned to Williamson’s home and placed him under arrest on a

complaint of accessory to murder after the fact, according to the affidavit.

Williamson became upset and said he did not know what was going on. Doyle

explained he saw the Facebook conversation concerning the two guns, and told

Williamson he was being arrested because he had not been completely honest

per their agreement, according to the affidavit.

Williamson was taken to an interview room at the station and read his

Miranda rights. Williamson agreed to speak with police.

Williamson said he sold the Taurus .45 to the man he spoke with on Facebook

the night before at a friend’s house, documents show.

Williamson then was interviewed by Oklahoma City detectives. He told them he

obtained the Taurus .45 pistol Jan. 9. He said in the phone call he received

about picking up the guns, he also went and got another gun from a lot at

6th and Ohio, where Fuston keeps his dogs. Williamson said he retrieved the

gun from a broken-down car on the property, according to the affidavit.

After speaking with Oklahoma City detectives, Williamson asked to speak to a


Lt. Mark Blodgett spoke with Williamson, and Williamson said he had been

walking with Fuston in Enid’s Southern Heights neighborhood about two weeks

before, and Fuston told him he shot the man on Columbia, documents show.

Blodgett explained to Williamson he needed to speak with Doyle since he was

investigating the case. Doyle returned to the room.

Williamson said Fuston asked if he had heard about the Enid shooting on

Columbia, according to the affidavit. Williamson said he’d heard about it,

and Fuston pointed to himself and said he had shot the man. According to the

affidavit, Williamson then told Doyle that Fuston said he shot the wrong


Online court records show Fuston, 20, is being held without bond in Oklahoma

County, and a public defender has been tentatively appointed. The case is

set for preliminary hearing this morning.

Williamson is being held in lieu of $250,000 bond and is set for arraignment

on the charge this morning.