The Edmond Sun

August 1, 2013

Benny Lewis Potter


The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — Benny L. Potter, 81, retired long-haul truck driver, died Tuesday, July 30, 2013 in Edmond, Okla., following a lengthy battle with cancer. He was born August 11, 1931 in Hereford, Texas, the youngest of seven children.

Benny grew up on a farm five miles south of Hereford where he loved to read comic books, ride bikes and fish. He and his brothers started a trucking company to haul building materials for highway construction in west Texas until he was drafted during the Korean War. He served from 1953 to 1955, including one year of service in Japan. While in the service he earned his GED as well as several college credits.

After the war, he returned to west Texas and worked for a year before attending West Texas State University and the University of New Mexico. After transferring back to WTSU, he met Eufemia Adela “Dale” Barela; they were married January 4, 1958 in Clovis, N.M. during a snowstorm. They lived in Farmington and Abuquerque, N.M. and in 1964, the family transferred to Oklahoma City where Benny began work with Transcon Freightlines.

In his free time during his life, Benny enjoyed playing the domino game 42, boating and fishing on the many lakes in Oklahoma, and going gambling with Dale.

Benny is preceded in death by his parents, Emmett Manson Potter and Ora Waldrop Potter; siblings Madeline Potter, Gladys Jenkins, and Kenneth Potter; daughter Judy Ann and  son Anthony Dale.

He is survived by his wife, Eufemia Adela Barela (Dale) Potter, of the home; sisters Betty Jo Carlson and Frankie Mae Barrett, of Hereford, Texas; brother Emmett Manson Potter, of Moriarty, N.M.; son Benny Lewis Potter, Jr., of Edmond; son Gregory Mason and his wife Cameron Hoard Potter of Edmond; grandchildren Keegan Potter and wife Arianne of Atlanta, Ga.; Kelsey, Kira, and Hannah of Edmond; and many nieces and nephews.

Services will be 2 p.m. Saturday, August 3, 2013 at Baggerley Funeral Home, 930 S. Broadway, Edmond. Burial will follow at Resthaven Cemetery, 500 SW 104th St., Oklahoma City.