The Edmond Sun
OKLA. CITY —
The Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics, Oklahoma’s nationally recognized public, residential school for junior and senior high school students with advanced abilities in science and math, announced 72 students went through graduation ceremonies May 25 at the Oklahoma State Capitol.
The awards and achievements earned by members of this year’s class included:
• Scholarships in excess of $7.8 million;
• An increase in ACT Composite Scores from 27.6 to 31.7;
• Three Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence Academic All-State Scholars;
• Three National Merit Scholars and 15 National Merit Scholar Finalists;
• Six National Merit Commended Scholars;
• Two National Achievement Scholars;
• Two students with a Perfect ACT Composite;
• First-Place Team in the Oklahoma Mathematics League;
• Two Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation Sir Alexander Fleming Scholars;
• One 2012-13 Siemens Award for Advanced Placement Scholars;
• Three students qualified for the American Invitational Mathematics Test;
• One semifinalist for the U.S. Physics Olympiad Team;
• One semifinalist for the U.S. Biology Olympiad Team;
• One semifinalist for the U.S. National Chemistry Olympiad;
• Twenty-three College Board Advanced Placement Scholars;
• American Computer Science League Senior Team qualified for the International ACSL Competition;
• National champion, Division II, and best in state—TEAM+S Engineering Competition;
• Twenty-four Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education Scholarship recipients;
• Two student awards, high school division, University of Oklahoma Graduate Research Symposium;
• One recipient of a State Superintendent Award for arts excellence;
• Twenty-seven Presidential Service Award winners;
• Second place in Physics Bowl, 2nd Year Physics Division of Specialty Math and Science Schools and;
• First place Senior Division in the National History Day state competition.
OSSM serves all Oklahoma schools and students through research, teacher training and outreach activities. For more information, visit the school’s website at www.ossm.edu.
The Class of 2013 Edmond graduates listed with their home school before joining OSSM includes: Austin Garrett Budd, Edmond, Bethany High School; Matthew Louis Carl, Edmond, Edmond Memorial High School; Pratika Goparaju, Edmond, Classen School of Advanced Studies; Nadezda Arifovna Mamedova, Edmond, Edmond Memorial High School; Alyssa Marie Rudelis, Edmond, Deer Creek High School; Najmee Salsabil, Edmond, Classen School of Advanced Studies; and Qiyuan Sun, Edmond, Edmond North High School.