The Edmond Sun

October 5, 2012

Antlers way, way too much for Guymon

Bryan Trude
Special to The Sun

EDMOND — The temperatures sank low, but the fire on the field at Deer Creek Stadium kept spirits high. The Deer Creek Antlers celebrated their homecoming night by taking Guymon High School to the woodshed, whipping the Tigers 83-6.

“Our guys came out tonight, executed, but the game was played the way it was supposed to be played,” said Antlers assistant head coach Ryan Laverty. “From top to bottom, all the way down to our freshmen, they played hard and really executed for us well defensively.”

The Antlers (6-0) struck early and often, opening up the floodgates when junior Caden Sander returned a Guymon (0-6) punt for the touchdown off the first drive of the game, making the score 7-0 Antlers after just two minutes. Sander struck again the following drive, returning a Tigers punt for another score.

The Antlers offense did not take the field until the eight minute mark, when Deer Creek’s Joel Blumenthal only needed one play to run 22 yards for the score. Two minutes later, on Deer Creek’s second offensive play from scrimmage, Sander threw a 40 yard pass to senior Jared Rayburn to make the score 28-0 Antlers. A fumble and an interception by Tigers QB Austin Stonecipher both led to scores, and runs by senior Brennan Miyake and a pass by Blumenthal to senior Kale Jackson all contributed to Deer Creek taking a dominating 56-0 lead by the end of the first quarter.

With a running clock beginning in the second quarter, the Deer Creek scoring continued. After a missed field goal by junior Dillon Noble, Miyake struck again on a 23-yard run, plowing through Tigers defenders to give Deer Creek a 63-0 lead at the half.

A Blumenthal run on the second play of the second half padded the Antlers score at 70-0, after which Deer Creek head coach Grant Gower pulled his starters. The Tigers remained unable to stop the Deer Creek backups, however, as a 44-yard pass by freshman Bryson Bowers to sophomore Cole Verble made the score 76-0 following a blocked extra point attempt by kicker Jake Khoussine.

Guymon broke the shutout midway through the final quarter when Tigers QB Jacob Test fired a 15-yard bullet to receiver Alex Zakrewiez for six, missing the extra point attempt. The Antlers did not take that lying down, with sophomore Marcus Coleman running in a response score with 3:38 remaining.

“We’ve got to give credit to the Guymon Tigers,” Laverty said. “They played hard the entire night. They never gave up.”