The Edmond Sun

November 17, 2012

Huskies fall at Jenks

Wayne Bishop
Special to The Sun

JENKS — Playing almost the entire game without leading rusher Michael Farmer and forced to rely on quarterback Luke Hoskins for most of its offense, Edmond North managed to push No. 1-ranked Jenks to the limit before succumbing to a 280-yard, three-TD performance by Trojan running back Trey’Vonne Barr’e Friday night in the second round of the Class 6A playoffs, 34-12.

Farmer suffered a leg injury on his second carry of the game and spent the rest of the night on crutches. Without him, the Huskies were held to just 104 yards on 33 carries on the night. Hoskins gained 40 of those yards, and added 126 yards passing.

But North, which finished the season 10-2, had to settle for four field goals by Trevor Moore, never getting the ball into the Jenks end zone at Hunter-Dwelley Field. With Tulsa Union blitzing Edmond Santa Fe at Wantland Stadium, the only team from the west remaining in the title hunt is Norman North, which defeated Broken Arrow. Owasso took care of Norman and will meet Norman North next weekend, while Jenks and Union have a rematch of their 2011 semis.

Barr’e broke open a tight contest when he hit off the left side and found daylight around the corner for an 80-yard TD run with 6:07 left in the game. That score came seconds after Moore’s 23-yard field goal had pulled the visitors within 20-12.

Barr’e added an 11-yard TD run with 2:23 remaining after his 42-yard burst set it up.

Jenks had taken a 20-9 lead on a 19-yard pass from Kyle Alexander to tight end Garrett Patterson with 10:38 left in the game — a drive which covered 72 yards in 13 plays and overcame a fourth-and-2 on the final play of the third period. The Trojans had second and 23 when a pass interference call gave them new life at the 21.

Ezell McIntee kept Edmond North close with five touchdown-saving tackles, but it was the inability of the Huskies to get the big play in the red zone which eventually led to their downfall.

Barr’e carried 20 times for 126 yards in the first half, scoring the lone TD of the opening two periods. But it was after the break that he really put on a show, carrying 11 times for 158 yards and two other scores. The Huskies loaded the box all night long in an effort to stop the Trojan super star, and the strategy appeared to be working heading into the final six minutes. Moore’s third field goal, a 43-yarder with 4:08 left in the third, cut a 13-3 halftime deficit to 13-9.

Barr’e had bulled in from a yard out with 8:30 left in the half, and Daniel Donley kicked a pair of field goals for the Trojans for that lead at the break. But North ran 14 plays to just three for the hosts in the first eight minutes of the third period.

They reached the 5-yard line before being thrown back for a yard on third-and-1 on their first drive of the final period.

Jenks needed something good to happen, and Barr’e had just the right answer. Big plays on the next series by Brandon Waggoner and Luke Thompson forced a three-and-out, and a 42-yard run by Barr’e set up his own 11-yard scoot around the left side for the final TD of the game and the final spread of 34-12 with 2:23 to play.

The Trojans recovered the ensuing kickoff at the Huskies 27 and nearly scored again before Brett Tye was forced out at the two by McIntee, who was hurt on the play. Jenks took a knee with 0:35 left, electing not to try for another TD.

Jenks rushed for 313 yards in the game, and added 105 passing. Marquee Depp, who took over for Farmer after he was hurt, led North with 41 yards on 12 tries, one more yard than Hoskins — who was thrown for 17 yards in losses on his final two plays.