The Edmond Sun

September 28, 2013

Bulldogs fight to the end; fall 28-21

Scott Wanish
The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — The heavy-run machine of Lawton came into Wantland Stadium Friday night having outscored its opponents 162-27.

Though Edmond Memorial swallowed 329 rushing yards from the Wolverines, the Bulldogs still had their hands on an onside kick in the final minute with a chance to tie with a recovery. But Justin Marcha’s timely squib kick to the left sideline just bounded too hot off the hands of a Bulldog as Lawton escaped with a 28-21 victory.

Lawton, now 4-0, looked to be in control leading 28-14 with just under two minutes to play in regulation. The Wolverines attempted a quick-kick that went straight into the air near midfield.

Memorial quarterback Mick Mayerske then hit an uncovered Donovan Nunley for a 35-yard touchdown pass to get within 28-21 with just 1:03 showing on the clock.

Then Marcha’s onside kick some how squibbed through four Wolverines before rebounding off the hands of a Memorial player. Lawton recovered and took a knee for the victory.

The Bulldogs trailed 14-7 at the break, but Memorial burst out of the locker room to march quickly up the field 80 yards on 11 plays to even things out capped off by Warren Wand’s bullet into the line from two yards away. Wand led the ‘Dogs (2-2) with 83 yards rushing on 23 attempts.

Standout plays on the game-tying drive were a 19-yard run by Mayerske, a 13-yard Wand run, a 10-yard reception by Evan Nicklas and a 10-yard run to the two by Waylan Anderson.

But Lawton’s running attack proved to be too much. Though workhorse Michael Warren trekked 176 yards on 37 totes, it was the accelerating Darryl Patterson who put the Wolverines up for good when his get-up turned the corner right 34 yards to pay dirt. Richardson carried just five times for 85 yards for a 17-yard average per carry.

Teammate Kalin Sadler also picked up 44 yards on just three attempts (14.7 average) as the Memorial defense kept keying in on Warren.

Lawton lineman Ivan Thomas made it 28-14 with a two-yard plunge in the third quarter.

In all, the Wolverines outrushed the Bulldogs 329-160 and Memorial tossed three interceptions and lost a fumble while Lawton committed just a single turnover.

Bulldog Waylan Anderson gave the ‘Dogs a 7-0 lead in the first when he worked his way from the right side of the field. Mayerske scampered for time, moved left and drilled Anderson with a 23-yard strike. Anderson also hauled in a 38-yard pass on a post from alternating quarterback Luke Booker on Memorial’s initial play from scrimmage. Anderson ended up with two catches for 61 yards, fellow Bulldog Jordan Reed caught four passes for 41 yards and Nunley ended up with the TD on two grabs for 46 yards.

Mayerske tossed two TDs on 10-of-16 attempts for 139 yards and three interceptions.

Defensively, Memorial’s Jake Mammen stuffed Lawton quarterback Dallas Sealey on a quarterback keeper on a fourth-and-inches situation, Jason Hand recorded minus-2 sack, Kevin Blumenthal almost got a safety by driving Warren back four yards to the one and Ben Moore guessed right and dropped Warren for a seven-yard loss.a

Lawton tallied its first-half scores on a Sealey sneak and a 21-yard pass from Sealey to Myykhail Shaw.

The Bulldogs will play at Norman next Friday night.