The Edmond Sun

July 3, 2013

Edmond Memorial comes back for split

Choctaw shuts out ‘Dogs in game 1 before nightcap win

John Martin
Special to The Sun

CHOCTAW — Junior Hunter Jackson delivered a clutch, two-out single in the top of the seventh inning to lift the Edmond Memorial Bulldogs to a 3-2 victory over Choctaw in the second game of a summer league doubleheader at Choctaw High School Monday night.                                        

The Bulldogs banged out nine hits in the opener, but couldn't put them together as Jacob Rapp hurled a complete-game shutout to pace the Yellowjackets to a 6-0 victory.

In the nightcap, the Memorial had runners on third base in the second, third and fourth innings but did not break into the scoring column until the fifth when Colin Simpson blasted a drive to right that easily cleared the 370-foot sign. That cut the margin to 2-1.

Jackson, who drew three walks in addition to his game-winning single, walked to lead off the sixth but the Bulldogs still trailed by one. Conner Kinnear shut the Yellowjackets down over the final three innings to keep it close.                                

Cody Oliver opened the fateful seventh with a scorching single just out of the reach of the second baseman. Brandon Fox got the next two batters before Kellen Manek drew a walk. Manek was the starting pitcher for the ‘Dogs and yielded only one unearned run in his four innings.

Clean-up hitter Evan Nicklas was hit by a pitch to load the bases and set the stage for Jackson. After taking a couple of strikes, Jackson stroked a liner to left that the fielder could not handle and Oliver and Manek both trotted home to give the Edmond Memorial the lead.

Alec Johnson then drew another walk to load the bases again, but Fox retired the side.

In Choctaw's seventh, Kinnear induced Brandon Grant to fly to center before Kevin Edwards punched a single up the middle. But he was stranded there as Nicklas chased down a wind-blown foul ball for the second out and then Simpson slammed the door with a routine throw from second to end the contest.

Simpson also had a single to go with his homer and Dylan Kaplinger also had a pair of hits for the Bulldogs.

In the opener, the Bulldogs had numerous chances to score but couldn't bunch their hits together. In the second, Nicklas led off with a single and Reese Garvie followed with a walk but Memorial couldn't take advantage.                                     

 In the third frame, Simpson blasted a double to right to lead off and went to third on a groundout by Jared Jones. After Manek was hit by a pitch, his courtesy runner advanced to second but Rapp got Wade Hanska and Nicklas to end that threat.

 In the fourth with one out, Cody Ebert got a single and Johnson drew a walk, but Ebert was out stealing and Rapp slammed the door with a strikeout.

Jones and Manek had back-to-back singles in the fifth but a fielder’s choice and a fly to left got Rapp out of a jam. The Bulldogs again got two hits in the sixth on consecutive singles by Ebert and Johnson and Manek had a two-out single in the seventh, but none of them could get home.

Simpson, Manek and Ebert each had two hits for Memorial.