The Edmond Sun

February 21, 2014

North fires on all cylinders in regional

Memorial’s McBee notches dramatic comeback win

Scott Wanish
The Edmond Sun

MOORE — All Edmond North did in the first round of a Class 6A wrestling regional at Southmoore High School Friday afternoon is win.

Not only did some of the Husky grapplers win in round one, the contingent did not have a single loss in the opening round.

All three Dixon Brothers chalked up falls. And, the route to the pins seemed almost effortless.

At 220 pounds, Lance Dixon appeared to be toying with Westmoore’s Daevon Newton, leading just 2-0 after the initial period. But in period two, Dixon started driving and eventually overpowered the Jaguar for a cruising fall in 3:13.

Joel Dixon (182) had the fastest Edmond fall of the round in a swift 45 seconds over Norman’s Collin Kappel and Andrew Dixon (heavyweight) stuck Westmoore’s Rhett Hall in 1:14.

Also ending matches with pins for North were Derek White (195, 1:42), Cy Trindle (120, 3:11), Caleb Alexander (132, 4:40), Jordan Prince (145, 5:30) and Zach Walton (160, 2:38).

Remaining winners for the Huskies included Cooper Coil (170, 7-3 decision), Josh Nunley (138, 4-1 decision), Reggie Dunn (152, 6-0 decision over Edmond Santa Fe’s Felix Depona), Paxton Rosen (106, bye), Brandon Bright (113, 4-3 decision over Edmond Memorial’s Grayson Boker) and Brock Appiah (126, 18-3 technical fall over Santa Fe’s Jacob Blackmon.

McBee pulls out win

Memorial had one of the most climactic finishes of the first round in the 170-pound slot with Bulldog Tristan McBee going against Yukon’s Zach Davis for the pair’s first-ever meeting.

Davis held a 4-1 advantage until the final minute. With just 51 seconds left to wrestle, McBee caught Davis by surprise with a quick reverse and held the Miller in a cross-body for three near-fall points when the horn sounded to pull out a 6-4 decision.

“It definitely was a strain,” McBee said of holding Davis with one of the Miller’s shoulder blades on the mat for such a duration of time. “I looked up and there was still 45 seconds left.

“Coach (Darren) Huff always tells us to keep working and all of our training just paid off.”

Ironically, the win was the first of the season for McBee that wasn’t a fall. He improved to 22-13 individually with an amazing 21 pins.

When McBee was riding the near-fall points for the final 51 seconds, Huff kept giving instructions to “just stay right there.”

“Don’t want to do too much,” Huff said. “Got to get a win here. He (McBee) is one of my hardest workers. He pulled down from 182 and we are having a ton of success and his sacrifice is paying off.”

Also for Memorial, Seth Graves at 120 major decisioned Justin Furr of Norman North 14-1 and Ashton Stovall (126) completed a 3-1 decision over Lawton’s Deajour Kelly. ‘Dogs Denton Huff (220), Jeremy Morgan (195), Connor Shanks (106), LaDaryn Lockett (145) and Kevin Flores (182) all were recipients of byes.

Late winning finishes for Wolfpack

It took overtime, but an unfaltering Leland Anderson went after Norman North’s Colton Jones in the auxiliary period with a double-leg takedown with 43 seconds remaining that turned into three near-fall points for an eventual 16-11 triumph in a 170-pound match.

Teammate Mason Stowers (160) put Choctaw’s Clay Lester in the banana splits and came up victorious with a sound 13-2 major decison and Wolf heavyweight Jon Wynn came alive in the third period to decision Brandon Riley of Southmoore 4-zip.

Wolves Trevin Hicks (145) and John Renfrow (220) received byes.

Consolation matches begin at noon Saturday with the championship bracket to start at 6 p.m. at Southmoore High School.

Qualifiers for state will be Feb. 28-March 1 at State Fair Arena. State title matches will begin March 1 at 5:45 p.m. ensuing opening ceremonies.