- Sports Opinion
- HARRISON : Time to name names Just when you thought Major League Baseball was ready to start a season clear of the steroid abuse scandal, it got dragged into the ring for another round.
- CORTESE: Ways to keep costs down in sports As any parent who has been around the Edmond pee wee athletic circuit can tell you, the wide world of kid sports is something to behold these days.
- CORTESE: Participation in high school athletics at an all-time high Great news from the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS). High School sports are doing just fine, thank you. Nothing makes me happier than to see that their findings for the 19th straight year show that participation in athletics has increased once again.
- SPRUILL : Memorial prepares for rough stretch Whenever play resumes, Memorial girls basketball coach Shane Coffey knows its going to be rough.
SPRUILL: Girls hoops on the rise in Edmond
Edmond has definitely had its share of talent on the hardwood over the years.
Blake Griffin is widely considered the top pick in next years NBA Draft.
- CORTESE: Encouragement goes a long way Watching the inauguration of President Barack Obama made me proud to be an American. His election is an important lesson in how sports can have an influence on one’s life. After watching an interview with Chris Berman during Monday Night Football on November 3, 2008, I realized the strong impact sports had on him and his run for the White House.
- CORTESE: Self esteem plays big role in life Self-esteem is defined as “faith in ones self, pride, confidence and self regard.” All things I feel young people need as they grow up. Renowned child psychologist, Jean Piaget, believed that the most important phase in development of self-esteem occurs between the ages of about six and eleven. Just about the time many children start participating in sports.
- CORTESE: How to console your kids when they don't make the team “Grandpa, I didn’t make the team.” When my thirteen year old grandson called and told me he was cut from his Middle School basketball team in Boulder, Colorado, I felt almost as sad as he did. Youngster trying out for a sports team must be ready for the joy or sadness. Children today try out for select or elite sports teams. Soccer and basketball teams choose travel squads. Little League picks “all star” teams to compete in tournaments. And just as my grandson found out schools require tryouts.
- CORTESE: How to discipline a young athlete Dealing with discipline is always an important aspect of coaching. Athletes will misbehave at times; it is only natural. How coaches respond to misbehavior depends on what level they are coaching and their own coaching personality.
- CORTESE: Christmas wish list Merry Christmas. This is my favorite time of the year, well maybe with the exception of the start of football, and then I really like Thanksgiving. My birthday is always fun, although as I get older they seem to become more and more nostalgic. But at last, I truly do believe Christmas is my favorite time of the year.
- More Sports Opinion Headlines