Special to The Sun
With the Beatles-inspired theme of “All You Need is Central,” the University of Central Oklahoma invites the campus and community to a week full of events celebrating Homecoming 2012, including OKC Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook leading the Homecoming parade and culminating with the Broncho football game against Southwest Baptist University at 2 p.m. Nov. 3 at Wantland Stadium.
“No time better exemplifies Broncho pride than homecoming week. It the perfect opportunity for all members of our community to come together and share their love for Central,” said Courtney James, assistant director of Campus Activities.
“We hope when students look back on their time here at Central they have the best memories from homecoming week.”
Homecoming week activities include:
• Talent Show, 7 p.m. Oct. 30, Nigh University Center Ballrooms — This free event features the various talents of Central students.
• Edmond Downtown Trick or Treat on the Street, 5-7 p.m. Oct. 31, downtown Edmond — The Edmond community and UCO celebrate the fall community festival with treats, prizes, games and rides.
• Zombie Walk/Run, 8 p.m. Oct. 31, UCO Plunkett Park — The annual Homecoming 5k takes a spooky twist, as the living dead walk and run through campus. Participants can register for $10 through Campus Activities at 974-2363 or in person the day of the run. Registration money benefits the Bethel Foundation. Participants also may bring a new toy to cover the cost of registration.
• Unity Fest, 6 p.m. Nov. 1, Hamilton Field House — Celebrate the wide variety of cultures represented at Central with the Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
• Golden Broncho Breakfast, 9 a.m. Nov. 2, NUC Ballrooms — Celebrate Central’s class of 1962. Admission is free for alumni, but registration through the Alumni Relations office is required at 405-974-2768.
• Old North Tours, 10:15 a.m. Nov. 2 and 10:45 a.m. Nov. 3, Old North — Having been closed for more than 10 years, the tour will share the plans for the interior remodel of Central’s oldest building, as well as discuss the historical significance of this landmark in Oklahoma higher education.
• Distinguished Alumni Awards, 11:30 a.m. Nov. 2, NUC Ballrooms — The Alumni Association will recognize its selected distinguished alumni and the Central Family of the Year. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased at 405-974-2768.
• Homecoming Happy Hour, 4-6 p.m. Nov. 2, UCO Alumni House — Alumni, faculty, staff and the community age 21 and up are invited to reconnect with classmates. Admission is free, and a cash bar will be available.
• UCO Athletic Hall of Fame Banquet, 6:30 p.m. Nov. 2, NUC Ballrooms — The UCO C Club, also known as the Letterman’s Club, will induct nine new members into the Athletic Hall of Fame. Tickets are $40 and can be purchased at 405-974-2768.
• Cheer and Dance Competition, 9:30 p.m. Nov. 2, Hamilton Field House — Student organizations compete for the title of cheer and dance champion of Homecoming. Admission is free and open to the public.
• “Welcome Home” Women Athletics’ Breakfast, 8:30 a.m. Nov. 3, NUC Ballrooms — Registration is $10 and can be completed by calling 405-974-2768.
• Homecoming Parade, 10 a.m. Nov. 3, UCO campus and downtown Edmond — The parade will feature Russell Westbrook as grand marshal and will begin at the intersection of University Drive and Main Street on the southwest corner of the campus. The parade will head south on University, then west on First Street, north on Broadway, east on Campbell Street, and finally north on University back to the start.
• Homecoming Tailgate Party, noon Saturday, parking lot located west of Wantland Stadium — Central’s Alumni Association will sponsor a tailgate party with hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, drinks, cotton candy, and popcorn. There also will be fun activities for all ages and performances by the alumni band.
• Homecoming Football Game, 2 p.m. Nov. 3, Wantland Stadium — The Central Bronchos take on Southwest Baptist University. Tickets to the game are $10 for the general public and free for UCO students, faculty and staff with a valid UCO ID.
FOR MORE information on these events, visit www.uco.edu/homecoming or email firstname.lastname@example.org.