Edmond North's Daryl Dike works a ball away from Deer Creek's Dani Valdez Friday night in the second round of the state playoffs.

Spouting a two-goal performance from senior leader Daryl Dike, the Edmond North Huskies bested Deer Creek’s boys soccer squad 4-2 last Friday. The win propelled the Huskies into the quarterfinals of the 6A state tournament bracket.

Goals from Josh Okeefe and Eddy Mbosowo braced Dike’s two goals: Okeefe scored in the 20th minute with a header on a cross sent from freshman Luke McElhinny; Mbosowo scored in the 56th with his foot, assisted by Drew Karnig.

Okeefe’s and Mbosowo’s netters only reinforced the outcome for North on Friday, with Virginia commit Dike completely taking over the game during a seven minute span midway through the first half.

Firstly, in the 23rd, Dike himself powered through the Antler’s backline before slipping a shot past Deer Creek’s Tate Turner. The shot made it 2-nil, and less than 10 minutes later Dike headed a corner-kick up and over Deer Creek’s goalie to balloon the differential to three goals.

With North using Mbosowo’s goal to coast to a 4-nil lead with just 24 minutes of game time left, it looked like the last quarter of play would be more of the same. But the Antlers had other plans, instead opting to net a couple of goals for themselves.

The first came in the 60th minute, with Sergio Diaz sending a perfect cross the Matt McLaws. It was rejected by North’s Zach Short, but the ball bounced right back to Diaz, who dialed up another flawless cross, and McLaws put the second try in.

Six minutes later the Antlers added another to the board, with Chris Smirlis putting in a late penalty kick, but, with less than 16 minutes of game time on the clock, Creek fell unable to find the two more goals required to equalize Friday’s elimination contest.

Cards for the match included three yellows for Deer Creek. None will cause any lasting effects though, with both Smirlis and Turner dividing up the three as senior leaders for the squad. Turner got the lion’s share of the cards, resulting in an ejection with just under two minutes of game time remaining after he threw the ball at a North attacker during a stoppage in play.

North’s victory means they alone advanced as Edmond’s last remaining 6A boys soccer squad. The Huskies met Tulsa Union’s Redskins Tuesday night, making the trip North for what might have been one of the final events held before Union’s 42-year old stadium begins a $22.5 million remodel plan. The remodel is tentatively scheduled to finish in 2021.

Tuesday’s match was scheduled for 8 p.m., with the result concluding after the deadline for this edition of the Sun.

Recommended for you