football Deer Creek vs. Tecumseh

DREW HARMON | The Edmond Sun Deer Creek's Adam Byrd makes a reception on the Antlers' first touchdown drive during Friday night's homecoming game against Tecumseh.

The Deer Creek football team had a hard time containing Tecumseh running back Kyle Kent, as the visitors spoiled the Antlers homecoming with a 27-24 overtime win.

Kent rushed for 111 yards and four touchdowns, as the Savages stunned the Antlers.

Deer Creek (3-3, 1-2) struggled offensively early in the contest, as the Savages doubled the Antlers offensive output in the first half, as they built a 13-7 halftime lead.

“We played better in the third quarter, but we made a lot of mistakes that kept us from being able to win it,” said head coach Denton Fox.

But just like that, Deer Creek turned it on after some halftime adjustments to take the lead.

After being limited to 95 yards of offense in the first half, Deer Creek marched 56 yards on the second possession of the second half to take a 14-13 lead.

The drive consisted of only one play, as quarterback Dax Dilbeck took a keeper around the left end, and outraced Savage defenders for the score with 5:54 remaining in the third.

Deer Creek then forced a three-and-out, and drove down the ball down Tecumseh’s throats for another score on their next possession.

Dilbeck gained 15 yards on the ground on the possession, while Connor Patterson had a 24-yard run, to set up a 10-yard touchdown pass to Zack Trujillo on third-and-goal. Alec Reid added the extra point, as the Antlers had a 21-13 lead with 0:39 left in the third.

Tecumseh (3-3,2-1), who had gained 200 yards in the first half, had negative-four second half yards, midway through the fourth. And it looked even better for the Antlers when Adam Byrd picked off Tecumseh’s Daniel Judkins at mid-field with just under eight minutes left in the game.

The Savages got the ball back with six minutes remaining, and used a time consuming 11-play 57 yard drive, as Kent scored his third touchdown of the contest on a nine-yard run around the outside with two minutes remaining. But the Savages still trailed by two-points.

After a timeout, Judkins found Brock Degraffenreid all alone in the corner of the end zone to tie the game at 21-21.

The Antlers got the ball at their own 25-yard line, and Dilbeck hit Leighton Dilbeck with an 18-yard pass on second down, as Deer Creek moved the ball all the way down to the Tecumseh 36.

Dilbeck had a long run inside the Tecumseh 10-yard line negated by a holding call, ending the Antlers chance of winning in regulation.

Deer Creek got the ball first in the overtime period, and was held to only one yard on its drive, setting up a 26-yard field goal by Reid, as DC went up 24-21.

Despite getting a false start penalty, Tecumseh needed only two plays, to go 15 yards, winning the game.

The last three games between the schools have been decided by a total of six points.

“The teams are just really evenly matched, and we’re pretty similar in the things that we do, so it’s going to be a close ballgame, always has been,” Fox said.

Recommended for you